In between me, you and everything we do. What can design do for commons?
By Design or by Disaster Conference, 23-25 March 2018, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano
In this conference we explore and discuss what the intersections and interactions are between design and commons. What role can and does design play in driving the idea of commons into the future? In what way are designers needed in growing commons? But what can commons also do for designers? How can such alternate ways of interacting and thinking alter and transform the design field?
commoning, creative design responses, collaboration, co-creation, fair business models, alternative economies, co-creation for social benefit, social design, eco-social innovation, community-centred innovation, sharing economies, fair design strategies …
Is this a conference for you?
Are you a …
Student of design, design practitioner, design researcher, commons practitioner, commons researcher, commons advocate and activist, commons realist, academic with a focus on sustainability-related issues, social enterprise, activist, entrepreneur or citizen interested in sustainable living arrangements …
The below listed fees include your 3.5-day conference ticket (including workshops) and meals (morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea).
Teachers and researchers at Unibz: 50€
Folks with a decent income*: 90 €
Transport to and from Mals-Malles on Sunday is excluded from this price.
* if you have no »decent income«, please ask for a reduction via email.
Below are some accommodation suggestions, sorted by price (from low to high):
- Students Room: We try to organize that students from Bolzano-Boen host students from elsewhere. Please mail to Lea Luzzi, if you are a student and you need a place to stay.
- Youth Hostels: Bolzano Youth Hostel
- Hotels: Hotel Eisenhut / Cappello di Ferro | Arts Hotel | more Hotels (PDF)
- Stay in Mals / Obervinschgau from Saturday to Sunday: We a organizing a low-cost accommodation for students and all others who bring a sleeping bag. If interested, please mail to Lea Luzzi. Otherwise we recommend to book a room in Hotel Gasthof Grauer Bär or Hotel Zum Hirschen.
We suggest using public transport to get to in Bolzano. All distances within the town are easily walkable and public buses are affordable.
If you would like to come by car you should use public parking garages. Finding a parking spot in the city is very challenging and not recommended.
Web & Contact
If you have any queries, please get in touch:
Conference Coordination Team
Consultants: Alastair Fuad-Luke, Alvise Mattozzi and Sabina Frei
Unibz event management: Massimo Eccli